Saturday, April 26, 2014

Elements and Principles in 3D Form

[in process]



This sculpture represents the element of space. Materials: card stock and clear packing tape. Process: I used water to wet three sheets of card stock, and then proceeded to twist and fold them over my hand until they created rounded mounds. I completely covered each form in clear packing tape. I then took two pieces of card stock paper and pinched and folded them in from the middle (in process photo). I then arrange the pieces of together to form the sculpture the images exhibit.  Explanation: This sculpture captures and portrays the element of space. The paper and packing tape form the positive space, and the space in between materials and object makes up the negative space.  



 This sculpture portrays repetition. Materials: card stock paper and masking tape. Process: I stuck strips of making tape horizontally, vertically and diagonally onto a flat piece of card stock paper. I then cut parallel slits vertically down the paper (in process photo). After cutting the slits, I twisted and squashed the paper until I was satisfied with the form, and adhered the paper into place. Explanation: This sculpture portrays the element of repetition. The continual vertical slits exhibit repetition and the bending of the paper also created a repetition of positive and negative space.

[In process]

                         



This sculpture portrays texture. Materials: Card stock paper and wood glue.  Process: I first cut out a long strip of paper from the card stock. I proceeded to fold the strip back and forth in a small accordion fold. I then poured wood glue into the bottom of a plastic cup, and dropped the accordion paper into the wood glue. I pressed the paper down into the glue, and allowed the glue to dry for several days. When the glue was dry, I cut apart the plastic cup and separated the sculpture from the bottom. Explanation: This sculpture portrays the element of texture. The visual effect of the accordion folded paper creates a great sense of texture. The physical texture of the protruding edge of the paper as well as the smoothness of the hardened wood glue also exemplify the element of texture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment