Wednesday, April 30, 2014

It's About Time ~ Changing State

Original 2nd Carving


Stage 1: Subtraction ~ Using an exacto knife, I cut the turtles shell into three different sections although they were still attached. I also cut a line through the center of the turtles belly.



Stage 2: Addition ~ I dropped blue ink into the cut I created during the previous stage. 

          

Stage 3: Subtraction ~ I pour half a bottle of hydrogen peroxide over the soap carving. This caused the soap to begin to dissolve and become sticky, and also caused the ink to fade.


Stage 4: Addition ~ I added silver glitter to the sea turtle, and it stuck because of the effect that the hydrogen peroxide had on the soap.


Stage 5: Addition ~ I smeared gel fixative on the the top of the turtle and allowed it to dry.


Stage 6: Subtraction ~ I used an exacto knife to cut the turtle into sections 



Stage 7: Subtraction ~ I placed the pieces of soap into a mug, and poured sparkling water over it and allowed it to sit for about 30 seconds. This caused the soap to dissolve further. 


Stage 8: Subtraction ~ I put the pieces of soap into the microwave for 30 seconds. This caused the sculpture to breakdown, specifically the gel fixative. 


Stage 9: Subtraction ~ I crushed and mashed the sculpture further. 




Stage 10: Addition ~ Finally, I wrapped the pieces of soap carving in clear packing tape, creating something unrecognizable from the original soap carving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment