Saturday, April 26, 2014

Memento

[in process]

[in process]



Materials: foam stress ball, mirror, scented wax. Process: I broke shards of a mirror apart then cut a foam stress ball in half and inserted the mirror shards into the flat portion of the half sphere (in process photo 1). I then melted the yellow scented wax in the microwave until completely liquefied. I poured the hot wax into a mug, and carefully set the half sphere into the wax and gently applied pressure until wax cooled and hardened. Then I placed the mug into the freezer for a few minutes, and then pulled the form out of the mug (in process photo 2). I melted more wax, and repeated the same process with the other half of the stress ball.  I took the leftover wax and melted it and then poured it over the shards of glass. Finally, I placed the half sphere with the mirror shards onto the wax of the other half. Explanation: There was I time in my life when my family went through a very difficult time. One of my little sisters was very sick for a number of years, and we were desperately trying to find a cure for her. Throughout this time, because I was the oldest child, I felt like I had to take care of things and help the household to run smoothly. I internalized my stress and angst and broke apart inside. The stress ball represents this internalized emotion. I was not processing, I was stuffing it away and distancing myself from dealing with the problem, and this is portrayed by the torn apart stress ball. It is not being used as it was intention, much like the wasted potential I felt I had at the time. The shards of glass are a metaphor of my life during this time period. I felt as if everything was broken, and I couldn't find myself among the pieces. The hot wax symbolizes the ordeal and how it brought my family together. The hot, melted wax is painful to apply, but after it cools and hardens, it bring support and stability. While my family went through this difficult time, it was painful and uncomfortable. But as time passed, the pain eased, and my family became closer and stronger because of our common experiences. 











No comments:

Post a Comment