Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Human Body Required



[In Process]







Materials: white crape paper, calculator paper, tracing paper, staples, wire. Process: I began by cutting strips of calculator paper and fastening them to the models arm with staples. Then I tied strips of white crape paper in between each of the eight previously fastened strips (In process photo). I measured out and cut tracing paper and  fastened it over one shoulder and then at the opposite  hip. I repeated this with the other side as well. Then I coiled and stretched wire and looped the ends so that they could also be attached to the models arms. These tangled in transit, so instead a portion of the tangle was twisted together and bent to hook onto the models dress, and two other loops were formed for her to hold in her hands.  Statement: When I heard about this project, I immediately had this image of strips of paper hanging for someones' arms. My sculpture is based off of this idea. I specifically wanted to use line to create a new and graceful way to portray the body without totally masking it. The sculpture evolved as I began to create it on the model herself. I love to work like this, having a basic idea or image for a project, and then altering and changing and coming up with new ideas as I work. It allows me to be flexible and create true art. Because I tend to be a perfectionist, this process really allows me to relax and be more freely creative. I am extremely happy with how the sculpture turned out. I believe that the photographs of the model really express the co-working of the human body and the sculpture. The sculpture accents the body and creates this beautiful and graceful flowing element. The different positions I asked the model to take also show of all the different aspects of the sculpture. The sculpture and the model compliment each other, which was the original intention I had when I began. 


No comments:

Post a Comment