Saturday, April 26, 2014

These Shoes Are Not Made For Walking




[in process]

[in process]

[in process]




Materials: Masking tape. Process: I formed the soles out of masking tape by creating a wide solid piece of tape by sticking strips of  layered tape to itself. I then traced the bottom of the model shoes to use as a pattern. I used scrap tape to fill the soles and make them sturdy (in process photo 1). Then I cut apart one of the model shoes and traced the pattern onto layers of tape and cut them out (in processes photo 2). The I attached the top portion of the shoe to the sole methodically using masking tape (in process photo 3). I punched holes and created slender flat shoelaces out of thin tape and laced and tied the shoes strings.  Finally I added stitching details using an Exacto knife. Statement: This process was easier than I had expected. However if was incredibly time consuming. Something I found helpful was that instead of creating one whole shoe and then going back and creating the other, I ended up creating pieces of each shoe together. For example I created both soles at the same time. This allowed me to improve as I went along, and also help keep the shoes similar to each other. I found this less frustrating. The most difficult part of the process for me was to attach the top of the shoe to the sole. Use of other materials may have been helpful, but eventually I was able to make the masking tape work for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment